Executive Assistant to the CEO
|Job Title||Executive Assistant to the CEO|
|Reports To||Cheif Executive Officer|
|Closing Date||Friday, May 14, 2021|
Here at Syria Relief we have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Executive Assistant to join our Head Office team based in Salford, Greater Manchester. You will join us on a full-time basis as part of an initial 1-year fixed term contract with a view to progressing into a permanent role. In return, you will receive a competitive salary, ranging between £24k - £27k per annum, depending on experience.
Syria Relief is a UK based charity providing humanitarian assistance and implementing long term projects in Syria and the Middle East. In terms of geographical outreach, the organisation is expanding to other regions, i.e. Asia and Africa, hence making it an exciting time to join. The organisation runs a range of programmes across several thematic sectors including healthcare, education, food security, livelihoods, WASH and orphan and family support.
This role is based in Syria Relief’s headquarters in Manchester, United Kingdom.
The Executive Assistant is a member of the C-Suite and is responsible for providing secretarial services such as; diary management, minute taking, and assisting with travel bookings, reporting and handling matters on behalf of the CEO, including liaising with lawyers and assisting with matters such as international office registration.
The post holder will also organise Board & Committee meetings, produce agendas for the Board of trustees and subsequent committees, ensuring compliance with statutory and regulatory standards, take minutes, record actions and brief members, develop and implement governance systems, procedures and events for the Board of trustees, its committees and others as appropriate.
The ideal candidate will have experience in supporting C-suite or board level management in the charity sector, and have strong written and spoken English and Arabic. The candidate will also be passionate about the humanitarian sector and will demonstrate a genuine commitment to the organisation’s growth and success.
We are ideally looking to appoint somebody immediately to this role.
Key duties and responsibilities of the Executive Assistant:
- -To provide secretarial support to the CEO and senior management team.
- -To provide administrative services including diary management, booking meetings, planning events, organising travel and preparing travel itineraries, correspondence and prioritising emails for the Chairman.
- -To work closely with the CEO and Senior Leadership Team through regular correspondence, arrange meetings and prepare briefing materials for the CEO.
- -To provide administrative support in the delivery of assignments and initiatives on behalf of the CEO’s office as and when required
- -To ensure all correspondence and relevant materials are produced in a timely and accurate manner.
- -To coordinate departmental reports and documentation for the Board of Trustees meetings and other meetings with outside partners.
- -To coordinate, attend and take minutes for the CEO’s meetings and any other relevant meetings.
- -To conduct research/ analysis as directed by the CEO.
- -To produce reports for the CEO as and when required.
- -To follow up on action points from meetings on behalf of the Chairman.
- -To provide support to the Board of Trustees and Board Committees:
- -To be responsible for the planning and execution of Board or governance meetings and events
- -Ensure that committees are properly constituted with up-to-date clear terms of reference
- -Taking board and committees’ meetings as required, recording decisions and following up any subsequent actions
- -Ensure there are nominated chair and executive directors to lead on each committee and ensure meetings are conducted to agreed standards
- -Maintain the registers of: Trustees and charity Interests of the trustees’ pecuniary interest, gifts and hospitality, for the trustees
- -Create and implement sustainable procedures for record keeping and information retrieval to comply with agreed governance standards and current regulation
- -Ensure that arrangements are in place for the recruitment, election or selection, induction and on-going development of new Board and Committee members.
- -Devise and maintain standard operating procedures and schedules of matters for the Board
- -Establish, maintain and monitor appropriate committee procedures across the charity, supporting C.E.O., Trustees, committees and working groups.
- -To develop and maintain effective communications with members, staff and other stakeholders on governance issues
- -Provide the CEO and the Board with effective legal advice through access to a comprehensive legal service.
- -Keep under review all corporate governance arrangements which might affect the charity and ensure that the board is fully briefed on these matters and have regard to them when taking decisions
- -In conjunction with the Chair and the Chief Executive, establish arrangements for the evaluation for the effectiveness of the Board.
- -To report on governance performance to the CEO and Board of Trustees, making recommendations for improvement, implementing agreed reforms
- -To develop systems to monitor and evaluate governance quality and standards across the charity
- -Ensure that the Comments, Compliments and Complaints policy is regularly reviewed and procedures are up-to-date.
- -Lead on the conduct of enquiries and complaints according to policy and procedure, working in partnership with appropriate staff and Trustees
- -Report annually to the Board on the outcomes of complaints, and the learnings.
Benefits of joining us as our Executive Assistant include:
- -Salary from £24k - £27k per annum
- -20 days Annual Leave, plus bank holidays and Company Holidays
- -Matched pension contribution
- -Sick Pay
What we’re looking for in our Executive Assistant:
- -Must have strong spoken and written English and Arabic skills
- -French language desirable
- -Degree or equivalent experience in legal and Governance support, or Business Administration
- -Experience in Secretarial service; diary management, minute taking, travel bookings and insurance
- -Extensive experience in working Senior executives and boards
- -Managing a full and varied workload independently whilst working under pressure to meet deadlines
- -Conducting research, compilation information and writing reports
- -Previous experience of working in a legal and compliance environment
- -Knowledge and experience of one or more of UK company law, charities law, regulatory, antifraud, terrorism and bribery laws
- -Meticulous attention to detail, and excellent IT skills including Microsoft Outlook, Excel and PowerPoint
- -Willingness to perform other duties as required, and to work occasional weekend/evening work and to travel nationally and internationally
This would be an ideal role for an experienced Executive Assistant looking for a rewarding role within the Charity Sector!
We are looking to appoint this role ASAP and will be reviewing applications on a rolling basis so for the best chance of success please apply today to become our Executive Assistant – we would love to hear from you.
Please note this is a Manchester-based role only, and we will only review applications where the candidate has demonstrated they have the right to work within the UK. This role will be subject to full pre-employment background checks which may include, but are not limited to, employment references, right to work verification, Accuity background check and where appropriate a criminal record check.
To apply, please email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org